Friday, August 29, 2008

'allo?

okay! so i'm back from my self-imposed exile. i probably won't be blogging as often as i could over the summer, as i am now a senior (i also turned 17 along the way) and taking four APs for reasons that are still unknown to me and running Gay-Straight Alliance (which i really want to rename Queer Alliance because i don't really think i identify with the gay/straight spectrum anymore. i don't really think that sexuality is that rigid as gay, straight, or bi) at my school and i'm the op-ed editor of the paper. which means that i am very, very busy and very, very tired. for a while my posts will probably be like, "obama, maybe? but mccain no. feminism good. misogyny bad. my back hurts."

i'm not crazy about obama, but i must say that i loved, loved, loved his speech last night and may have teared up one or six times.

i just finished toni morrison's beloved and i adored it. before that i read farenheit 451 and adored that as well. beloved was the first book by morrison that i've read. it kind of reminded me of dorothy allison, with the way she turns a phrase and her descriptions and the examinations of women and their relationships between them. but beloved also disturbed me. it was extremely chilling.

got to run, a friend's on her way over. i'll update later with a state of the union and something vaguely intriguing.

2 comments:

Xaire said...

Hey.

So, I agree. I don't think that sexuality is as rigid as gay/straight/bi. I know this for a fact. At the same time, renaming GSA Queer Alliance or anything to that effect would alienate the concept of harmony that it's supposed to evoke. The idea is the generally accepted opposites of the spectrum in alliance, not the representation of all elements of it... Because that would remove focus from the club in general.

That's my view anyways, as a straight person who would feel misrepresented under that particular name change.

Alexandra said...

that's a very good point. thank you.