Saturday, September 6, 2008

maverick my ass

like most of the country i've been watching both the democratic and the republican national conventions. as most of you know, mccain gave his speech thursday night. it wasn't much of a surprise to me; i found it dull and generic. mccain's never been much of a orator; he can't seem to find that rhythm one needs. but of course, the more important aspect is what he said. he kept speaking of how he's a fighter, how he has fought and will keep fighting for a "you" he kept mentioning over and over. this you that mccain refers to is not me. i don't know who this you is. and i don't know who mccain is fighting for. in his speech, he said:

"I fight for Americans. I fight for you. I fight for Bill and Sue Nebe from Farmington Hills, Michigan, who lost their real estate investments in the bad housing market. Bill got a temporary job after he was out of work for seven months. Sue works three jobs to help pay the bills.
I fight for Jake and Toni Wimmer of Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Jake works on a loading dock; coaches Little League, and raises money for the mentally and physically disabled. Toni is a schoolteacher, working toward her Master’s Degree. They have two sons, the youngest, Luke, has been diagnosed with autism. Their lives should matter to the people they elect to office. They matter to me.
I fight for the family of Matthew Stanley of Wolfboro, New Hampshire, who died serving our country in Iraq. I wear his bracelet and think of him every day. I intend to honor their sacrifice by making sure the country their son loved so well and never returned to, remains safe from its enemies."

but how? how does mccain fight for these people? was he fighting for sue nebe when he did not vote for and spoke out against the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act? was he fighting for luke wimmer when he told america that mercury in vaccines causes autism, a claim that scientific research does not support? was he fighting for matthew stanley's family when he told america that he was fine with the war in iraq going on for a hundred years?

the answer is no. mccain was fighting against these people, not with them. and he is fighting against anyone who believes that america is a country in dire need of true change, not the fake kind mccain is trying to peddle. he is fighting against me and my grandmother and my father's partner of nine years who is still waiting for citizenship and my girlfriends on birth control and my mother who worked as a prosecuter for nearly 20 years and got passed over for promotions countless times for her male coworkers who did not share her near-perfect court record.

mccain wants to fight for this country? great. so do i. right now, the best way to do that is to make sure this man stays the hell out of office.

jeezebug, i wish i could vote.

2 comments:

Prep said...

a) You don't know that Sue Nebe is/was being paid less than her male coworkers, so that act is completely irrelevant. To assume is to make an ass out of u and me.
b) So now trying to put information together and thinking about what could possibly be making autism more common is a key sign that he'll destroy the country. Charming.
c) For this one all I need to use as a rebuttal is a quote from his original speech: "I intend to honor their sacrifice by making sure the country their son loved so well and never returned to, remains safe from its enemies."

I strongly suggest you bring some of this up in government. It would be interesting.

Alexandra said...

1) No, the act is not completely irrelevant. I did not say that Sue Nebe was not being the same as her male coworkers. My point was that McCain claims that he is going to support women who are struggling to make ends meet, while simultaneously going against legislation that could help women in the workforce.
2) There is no evidence that proves that mercury in vaccinations lead to autism. This claim has already been discredited. If McCain keeps telling people that vaccinations could give them autism, they could decide not to get vaccinated and face sickness or death. If a politician is going to step into the scientific arena, then he better know what he's talking about and have the facts/research to prove it.
3) How exactly has the war in Iraq made us safer? Last time I checked, it has caused the death of thousands of U.S. troops, billions of dollars, and the destruction of the lives of Iraqi citizens.

I really don't understand why you continue to read my blog, as you so clearly hate everything I have to say. If you want to express your opinion, fine. But if you're just trying to express how much you dislike me, then say it to my face.